Learning has to a pleasant activity. When the learners feel happy about the process, actual learning becomes part of life only in those moments. If a teacher or even a parent fails to engage the kids in the learning activities, there is a sure-shot failure of the purpose. Gamification is a trend in the 21st century but GCompris has been there for more than 02 decades, doing this fantastic service to children.
GCompris is an e-learning tool to provide training exercises within and outside the classroom. It is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License. It is multiplatform (GNU/Linux, Windows, Android, macOS), and can run on low power computers.
Know more by Listening to the PodMOOCs Episode:
(Listen to the PodMOOCs - Audio MOOCs for more such tools and tips: CLICK HERE)
GCompris is a high-quality educational software suite, including a large number of activities for children aged 2 to 10.
Some of the activities are game orientated, but nonetheless still educational.
Here is the list of activity categories with some examples:
- computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, touchscreen ...
- reading: letters, words, reading practice, typing text ...
- arithmetic: numbers, operations, table memory, enumeration, double entry table ...
- science: the canal lock, the water cycle, renewable energy ...
- geography: countries, regions, culture ...
- games: chess, memory, align 4, hangman, tic-tac-toe ...
- other: colours, shapes, Braille, learn to tell time ...
Currently, GCompris offers more than 100 activities, and more are being developed. GCompris is free software, which means that you can adapt it to your own needs, improve it, and most importantly share it with children everywhere.
GCompris has been present for over twenty years in schools worldwide and offers more than 150 activities covering the main pedagogical domains, including:
- Learning how to use a computer
- Practising reading with activities to learn letters, words and lexical sets
- Acquiring proficiency in math by practising numeration, arithmetic, measures and puzzles
- Discovering the world through logic, the arts and music
- Exploring science and humanities through experimentation, history and geography
- Developing strategic thinking with board games
GCompris does not require an Internet connection, does not collect any data, and so strictly complies with the EU's General Data Protection Regulation.
GCompris lets educators select the level of activities according to the skill of each child. For example, in an activity that lets children practice numbers, you can select what numbers they can work with, leaving higher and more difficult numbers for a later stage. Or in an activity in which the child has to order pictures chronologically, you can grade the activity for children who can only read numbers or make it harder for children who can read both numbers and words.
Activities for Kids (FREE) Click Here to Download.